Finder stuck “Deleting xxx,xxx files” and then “Stopping…”

Note to self: Have to look up the exact messages and add them here.

Normally this occurs when deleting too many files using the trash in the empty trash phase. So because of some strange reason mac OS wants to show you the number of files to delete and starts counting them. Well many files are hard to count, right?! So it takes time and time… and you decide to cancel (stop) the process. Well now you have a non dismissable window on your screen that takes a lot of time until it disappears. So you will probably restart and then when you try to empty again the trash… guess what that happens again.

When the window is open trying to stop the empty trash action just move the folder with too many files outside of the .Trashes folder.

Here is how I did it:

1. Open a terminal
2. Run the command

sudo mv /Volumes/BackupDisk/.Trashes/501/Backups.backupdb /Volumes/BackupDisk/

3. To actually delete the files run the command:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/BackupDisk/Backups.backupdb

Have a nice life!

PHP Uncategorized

PHP Unknown error: Collator::__construct(): collator_create: unable to open ICU collator in Unknown on line 0

Full error message that occurred on mac (mavericks) homebrew version of php (php54, php55, php56) with php-intl (php54-intl, php55-intl, php56-intl) with intl.use_exceptions=1 and intl.error_level=E_ALL :

Unknown error: Collator::__construct(): collator_create: unable to open ICU collator in Unknown on line 0
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'IntlException' with message 'collator_create: unable to open ICU collator' in -:2
Stack trace:
#0 -(2): Collator->__construct('en_US')
#1 {main}
thrown in - on line 2

or without the default ini settings

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getLocale() on a non-object in - on line 3

Fatal error: Call to a member function getLocale() on a non-object in – on line 3

or in symfomny2

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function asort() on null in APP_DIR/vendor/symfony/icu/Symfony/Component/Icu/IcuRegionBundle.php on line 79

After couple of hours I found the error to be inside icu4c library installed via homebrew.

The fix for this error is to reinstall the icu4c library, php and php-intl

brew reinstall icu4c php55 php55-intl


NTLDR is missing

Problem: Computer with Windows XP Professional operation system froze unexpectedly. No recent hardware changes performed, no applications recently installed. I reeboted. “NTLDR is missing” error occured.

I noticed that the system did not detect the hard disk drive where the operating system resided but I fixed this by reseating the IDE cables. Though the error persisted.

I then inserted the Windows XP boot CD in the CD-ROM drive in order to repair the operaton system. But I realized that if I changed in BIOS the Primary Boot Device from Hard Disk to CD-ROM, when the system asked if I wanted to boot from CD, I should not press any key and the system booted from Hard Disk. But this only happend if a bootable Windows XP CD was in the CD-ROM Drive.

While searching the Internet for solutions to this problem, i found this article.
No need for me to make a bootable anything as this guy describes here, but something caught my eye:

Once back into Windows, right click on the My Computer option, choose the Manage option. The Computer Management window will open, click on “Disk Management” on the left pane. One of the disks it lists, and one of the drives on it, will need to be marked as active. It will be which drive letter you have placed the 3 boot files into (this will likely be the C: drive on Disk 0). Right click on that drive letter and select “Mark Partition as Active”, you may first have to convert the partition to a Primary partition before you can mark it as active. Close and reboot.

I noticed that in Disk Management it was marked as active a partition on a slave hard disk. I wanted to unmark it, but I realized that I could not do that from the Disk Management interface.
Reading on the mentioned article, I found the solution to this last occured problem:
Mark Partition as Active with diskpart from Jim the Bean

I did that and it worked. It not only solved the active partition problem, but also my bigger problem as the system reebooted just fine with the Primary Boot Device set to Hard Disk and there was no need to set any partition as active on my system.


Hello world!

Hi, welcome!

We here at are planning to build a website with many error messages and their fixes and solutions. This will be a lengthly process so we are on our way.

If you can’t find your error and the fix here but you found it elsewhere and you want to help us please contact us and we will create an account for you so you can publish articles here or we will publish the fix on your behalf whichever you prefer.

Thank you.